Saturday, April 5, 2014

The week that was, 1

I wonder how long it will be before Facebook creates an app that you can use at your funeral?
I've been to enough funerals - and you probably have to - to know how often people do "video" montages to the deceased's favorite song. I just attended one where we were treated to some amazing photos from the 1960s to the tune of "Red Solo Cup." Ok. No judging. Here's a hint, though; if you'd rather not see me rise out of the casket swinging the hammer of Thor, spewing vitriol and whatever guts I have left, don't play "Red Solo Cup" at my funeral.
My funeral will certainly be a subject for an upcoming post. It's been germinating in my mind for a long time.
I'm pretty sure Facebook already has video capability, which randomly takes pictures from your years on its site to create a kind of living montage.
I thought of this because as I was looking at my own page this week (number of friends - 555 and stable) and thought - that's a pretty good summation of my week.
Sunday, we went to a church that St. Paul might have been comfortable attending, or if not comfortable, at least he would have understood it. He would have heard half of it in Greek, he would have seen pictures of himself and his Savior, and his Savior's mom in beautiful representations all around an incredibly beautiful building dedicated to Jesus.
:Our trip to St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church is one of the final gems in our confirmation class' Houses of Worship Monster Tour. Father Seraphim was a wonderful and apologetic host. He said it was too long to be in church, but I could have stayed all morning. After the sermon, which probably gave our kids nightmares ("there is a real demon trying to drag you off into hell at this very moment!") we heard from three teen speakers, who are competing in a Orthodox oration competition, and that was lovely. We got to line up to get antidoron bread (a bread of welcome) and I kissed a priest's hand for the first time.
Tuesday, I took a picture of a bottle of water that is "synergestically balanced" for "optimum hydration" because of its "enhanced pH." And guess what? It's "smooth and natural." I think my vision of hell would include working on an ad campaign for water. I took this picture while I was helping the two winners of Miss Pierce County and Miss Teen Pierce County prepare for their upcoming pageants in Spokane. They gave us the same presentations they would give there, and we were supposed to pepper them with questions that would rattle them. To Megan, whose platform is music education, I asked, "If you could bring any musician to the state of Washington to teach, who would it be." She said it was a good question (yay!) and then asked if her dream musician could be living or dead. I restrained myself from saying something about a decomposing composer, and said, "Living," and she said the name of some great conductor from South America. I also restrained myself from saying, "Wrong. The correct answer is Bono." I also restrained myself from asking them if they felt objectified by the pageant system. I think I showed the restraint and poise of a pageant contestant, don't you? Honestly, it was a lot of fun, and good luck to you young women.
Then we went to see Noah and played hearts all night. I mean, all night. That was a good day, a good night and a good morning, although it screwed up my health for the next day.
Finally, last night, we went to see Tommy Castro at Jazzbones with our friends Brad and Staci. First time at JBones, I'd never heard of Tommy Castro before, and had a bang up time. I think I'm actually maturing as a music lover, now that I have seen blues played in a club. I can cross that off the old bucket list. That's my excuse for not posting yesterday. I think five times a week is a good start, don't you?
Religion, movies, music, cards and beauty contestants. Who has a better life?


No comments:

Post a Comment