Friday, April 18, 2014

The week in review 3

Holy Week 2014.
Of course rating Holy Week without Easter is like gaining the calories without eating the pie. So writing on Good Friday is a bit unfair, but we'll hit Easter next week.
Stillness: Recalling God's Presence
I definitely felt God's presence today, in an unusual place, honestly. For all the speechifying I heard today, it was the words and melody of O Sacred Head Now Wounded that nailed me to the floor this week. Not that I didn't appreciate the words of Mike Neil at the Kiwanis Prayer breakfast this morning, or the seven OSLC elders who shared thoughts on seven words of Good Friday at Tennebrae, but it was the hymn well-sung by the congregation, well-accompanied by Gerod, Diane and the band and harmonized by the choir that drove it home.

Gratitude: Expressing Thankfulness 
I'm thankful I heard from my daughter today. It's strange, and a little unnerving not to hear from your kid. For five days. While she's in Spain. On Spring Break. At a place where Britons are notoriously stupid. But she surfaced today, tired, but happy.

Reflection: Looking Back on Your Day 
I did a lot of driving today! Odd that. Drove the 15 miles to Bethany Baptist for the breakfast; drove back home. Was just about to take a nap when daughter called with tales of Spring Break. Took a nap. Went to get my hair re-cut; drove back home. Went to lunch at Shogun and the mall for Sees candy. Drove back home. Did an errand for last minute groceries for our Sunday meal (challa for French Toast!); drove back home. Drove another 12 miles back out to church for Good Friday service; drove back home. Happily, I made a lot of headway into Eusebius. (I have his History on audiobook, and made quite a dent.) Very good day.

Sorrow: Asking for Forgiveness
If you can't think of a thing to ask for forgiveness on Good Friday you're just not trying. This day is all about realizing the part each of us - including Tim Ihssen - plays in nailing Christ to the cross. My lies and thievery drove those nails a little deeper. Father, forgive me, for I know exactly what I'm doing.

Hopefulness: Resolving to Grow
I know I'm being flip, but after a disastrous hair cut, I'm resolving to grow my hair back as quick as I can. It drives home the point that I should have never cut my hair in the first place. Of all the traits I want to thank my parents for - blue eyes, healthy body, good work habits - I'll not be thanking whoever gave me a cowlick. I think it's dad, but I'm no geneticist. After yesterday's cut, both the stylist and I felt uneasy. She said, "That bugs me," but we let it go. I preached last night, but never really got it right (luckily, my tie was backward for most of the sermon, so no one was looking at my hair). So I decided to give her another crack at it and she agreed. If anything, it's worse. It was to the point where I thought about wearing a hat to church. My wife frantically put product after product in my hair just to get it manageable. Then I get there and sit in the second row, because no one sits in the first row. Except my most stylish youth group member, Emily! There were little cards in our bulletin, where we could confess our sins, and she passed hers to me saying, "I made fun of Tim's hair cut."
It's that bad. If I believed that kind of thing, I'd say God was punishing me for my part in his son's death by giving me the worst hair cut ever.
I forgave her and told her to sin no more.

God bless your week, and remember to pray for a time between now and Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment