Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Here's how stupid I am

Our Savior is a progressive Lutheran church. It's part of our DNA to always look to change something when it doesn't work; we don't stick with the tried and true (except for the gospel). We are trying to take what's best from an institution that we find ourselves in with the speed and excitement of a movement. We've been learning from Bill Woolsey's FiveTwo, Greg Finke's Dwelling 1:14, both of which talk about the need to be in a missional community with a small group of friends, attracting people to Christ through natural firendships rather than ham-fisted evangelical methods. We have learned from the past mistakes of missionaries who have tried to win people to Christ with agendas or assumptions.
We had a big campaign last fall when hundreds of our members were slotted into small groups, some of which are still going strong.I satisfied myself by saying my small group is my Vanguard (youth leadership team). But I have not really been a part of a small group where I am not the leader since before Nirvana.
The simple truth is, I've never met my tribe.
Requirements for my tribe:
1) Be Lutheran. Really Lutheran.
2) Like Ultimate Frisbee.
3) College educated, and interested in learning more.
For the past three years, I've been in charge of the traditional service and our most consistent attenders have been the H-E's and the Mailands, and their families. I have baptized their four children. They play music. They have become the leaders of the service in my absence. And yes:
1) They are Lutheran. Really Lutheran.
2) Like Ultimate Frisbee.
3) College educated, and interested in learning more.
This is how stupid I am - that it took pater H-E to say "vespers" last night, as in "we could meet on Sunday evening and have a vespers service, and then talk about a book we all like."
Bazinga.
I have a small group. With my tribe.
This is presuming a lot, but I am excited to try all the things I've been taught with a group of people I respect and admire.

No comments:

Post a Comment