Friday, April 25, 2014

The week in review 4

Stillness: Recalling God's Presence
The clear winner and champeen of all time is Easter morning prayer vigil. I've had the 5 am - 6 am slot since 2005, and it's especially what I look forward to each year, especially now that I'm not concerned about the Easter Breakfast anymore. The chapel is an especial blessed place to do it (when there's no one using the bathroom, that is!) The past two years, I've been Facebook Praying, reaching out to people I think would be open to hearing a particular Easter prayer. And I pray for my family and Vanguard, of course, since they are those closest to my heart.

Gratitude: Expressing Thankfulness 
I'm thankful for my friend Doug. He's taken a call to a Lutheran church in Spokane, and, apart from my four year stint in Canada, he has been the DCE closest to me. He'll still be in the same state, but since my DCE days are waning, I probably won't see him too much more. He's a great dude and will be missed.

Reflection: Looking Back on Your Day 
Another good Friday, highlighted by some Battlestar Galactica. I finished the pilot and two shows today. Well, I wouldn't say that's the highlight,which is my continuing paper on private confession, which I hope to publish in this space next week. Such an interesting topic. Graced by my wife's presence this afternoon, which was a treat. She is being feted as one of the two new hires in the PLU religion department tonight, so I took the chance to play some indoor/outdoor frisbee at the Puyallup Y. Such a duffer, but I did get some great exercise. And I didn't get hurt, which is a bonus. Shout out to Trader Joes, the best grocery store on earth. They had some spicy sausage sampler today that was very tasty! And I got to mow the lawn for the first time in two weeks; nearly machete height. For these and all blessings, I thank you God!

Sorrow: Asking for Forgiveness
Each Friday is a good day to remember Good Friday. This week's sins that helped nail Christ to the cross: I had my evaluation at church, and everyone said really nice things about me, but I sometimes don't feel completely at home at OSLC; I feel like I'm a burden, old youth director and all. It's when I am forced to look at what I do that I feel like I'm falling short of God's purpose.

Hopefulness: Resolving to Grow
My hopefulness this week is in my 2014 ministry plan, which should include more school visits and being part of a killer small group. Can't tell you how pumped I am about that. Despite my round minister in a square church feeling from above, i am hopeful for the next year. I look forward to the small group, confirmation and youth events taking a positive turn. I'm hopeful for this summer's courses - Writings of the Mystics and Pastoral Counseling. I think that should prove pretty cool, and hopefully practical for the situation I find myself in at OSLC.

No comments:

Post a Comment