Sunday, May 18, 2014

The weeks in review part 6

Stillness: Recalling God's Presence
God's presence was noted twice today; I'll mention once here, and the other I'll save for reflection. I had a moment with one of the confirmands today - it's Confirmation Sunday, and we had 16 young Lutherans take the plunge today, their first step in their lifelong commitment to following Jesus. I had a bird's eye view of each confirmand as they knelt before Pastor Brian, and he laid his hands on their head and confirmed them in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. Most keep their eyes closed, or kneel uncomfortably on the top step or shift their eyes. But one young woman and I made eye contact - two actually, but the second looked away, embarrassed. The first one, though, gave me a thoroughly 14 year old girl look; unmistakably, "What?" So I crossed my eyes and made a face, causing her to laugh a little. It was a good moment with a young woman who will be intricately involved in youth ministry over the next four years!
Last week, too, during the creedal smackdown (the confirmands make their personal statements of belief in front of family and friends) I felt a moment of God's presence in the mature creed of a 19 year old man who started confirmation at 15 and in the heart-catching creed of the pastor's daughter, who admitted that while her biological family was close, her church family of so many grandparents and so many aunts and uncles and so many cousins more than made up for it. I truly felt the presence of the Holy Spirit in the words of these confirmands.

Gratitude: Expressing Thankfulness
I'm thankful that I have a good relationship with my kid. We had a great chat this afternoon - though my lack of nap is making itself known at this hour. We were going over some questions in the PAIR test (Personality Audit of Interpersonal Relationships, or something like that) and reveling in what it means to be a Llewellyn Ihssen. It's a good family that can answer "what would you do" and "who are you" kinds of questions for each other with such certainty.
Also so thankful for the help of the painters yesterday, especially Per and Chris who brought paint sprayers to finish the whole job. Fast, efficient and Christian; not a bad faith in action day,

Reflection: Looking Back on Your Day
Once again, writing on Confirmation Sunday, which started with a blessing of being able to sleep in; with no classes and no need to attend first service, nor even to handle the 10:30 service, thanks to our able lieutenant Che. Then the endless remarks over my appearance - I wear a suit once a year on confirmation Sunday - and went with a red tie, which caused even more adjectives - spiffy, dandy, debonair, nice, sharp, clean up nice, etc It's appreciated, truly, but I wonder if I wore a suit and tie each week if the brouhaha would die down. It's okay - I like the occasional brouhaha. The ceremony itself went well, no hitches, not trips, no fumbled names; the photographs looked good. My annual lunch at Frugals was tasty, followed by a trip to Trader Joe's to get mochi and boule for dinner at the H-Es. Then home for the Sunday nap - which didn't happen because daughter was on the line and wonderfully chatty. Then off to Evening Service, which is taking some getting used to, but I think we have a plan now. We are preparing ourselves so that we can offer a monthly evening service in the chapel! We will have the evening service, the Holden Village service, compline, Taize and other contemplative services. I believe it will be a necessary service for area contemplatives; and I believe we can do it well.

Sorrow: Asking for Forgiveness
i think I angered our Connections Minister today; I feel I caused covetousness by mentioning a donation we received from our painting lady, or else a well-deserved backlash over a boast. I didn't mean it to be a boast; meant it to be a praise, but the line between those two is sometimes tough to fathom. I am also behind on my school work - the new semester has begun - and I pray that I'll be able to make it up without angering my instructors.

Hopefulness: Resolving to Grow
I'm hopeful in turning our weekly evening small group into something that could benefit the Christian community. Once again, God has shown me that I keep underestimating the length of His arm. What I thought would be a great group of people meeting in a nice home is actually a castle God intends to live in.
I'm also hopeful that my friends in the district will be able to use my talents to their fullest, in the furtherance of God's kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment