Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Irenic

These are some quotations I found from a word that I read in my Christian history book.

Irenic:
adjective
formal
adjective: irenic; adjective: eirenic
1
aiming or aimed at peace.
2
noun
noun: irenics; noun: eirenics; noun: irenic; noun: eirenic
a part of Christian theology concerned with reconciling different denominations and sects.
  • From a Symposium of The Seven Trumpets of Rev. 8&9. What little of value that could be gained from the Bible could be ascertained from reason itself….Spinoza's mode of textualization was IRENIC because it embedded the Bible in ancient history, where it would no longer be able to trouble modern life…
  • In Explorations in the Theology of Pope Benedict XVI, in a chapter written by Francesca Murphy. "This essay is a reflection on a "papal ecclesiology" conducted in an irenic and ecumenical spirit."
  • In his article "Biblical Authority: A Personal Reflection," Prof. Walter  Brueggemann states that at Eden Seminary "there was no systematic theologian on the faculty until 1946, and things were managed well enough in a mood of trustful piety that produced not hard-nosed certitude, but rather an irenic charity of liberated generosity."
Then I found a critique of a critique of a pastor my pastor likes, Tim Keller, by theweeflea.

Firstly I am always wary of the person who comes to talk to me and begins the conversation with ‘I want to tell you this in love’.  It usually means that there is a broadside to follow and very little love accompanying it.  The ‘I want to tell you in love’ is really a self-justification for the particular complaint they are about to offload on you.  I’m afraid it is much the same here.  The authors talk about their ‘respect’ for Keller and then accuse him of  wrong teaching and harm on some pretty important subjects.  I suspect that Tim Keller, like most of us, would rather do without that kind of irenic grace!   In this case actions speak louder than words.  I am reminded of those who came to Jesus and began by stating “teacher we know you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth.” (Matthew 22:16), before they then went on to try and trap him.  Working on the principle of ‘do unto others’ perhaps each of the authors would like to reflect on how they would feel if fellow ministers were publishing books which accuse them of not teaching the full orbed Word of God?
Secondly if Keller is guilty of misleading the church about hell, creation, the Bible, evangelism, apologetics, the social gospel, sin and the trinity, then why bother being ‘irenic’ about it?  Was Jesus irenic when he called the Pharisees ‘white washed tombs’?  Can you imagine Paul saying to the Galatian false teachers, ‘I say this to you in a spirit of irenic love and graciousness, if you insist on circumcision, I wish you would go the whole way and castrate yourselves!’  The trouble is that the authors of this book are playing the modern Christian game – as long as you say it nicely and appear to be nice (gracious,irenic, loving) etc then you can say what you want.   Personally I find this both somewhat disingenuous and pathetic.  If Keller is dangerous then just say so.  Don’t hide it in modern reformed christianspeak.  
I want to know more about his book and the responses!

I was inspired to use this word on my Fbook page today. Yes, I know - it's more than one sentence, and might have even eclipsed the 140 character gold standard of brevity - but here it is:
Why is history important?
The term "denomination" started in the US during Wesley's Evangelical Revival as a form of tolerance among religious people who were "denominated" within the united body of Christianity. While we think of denominations as divisive, denominations were a way to say, "We are united in the body of Christ, even while we respectfully disagree with some of your doctrines."
So if denominations were formed to unite Christianity...what does that make non-denominational churches!
Ironic/irenic.
I used the word before I knew the second meaning of it, but it did come from the section on Pietism, so it does make sense that there is a field of study on how denominations can become more peaceful, come together, unite in Christian love called irenics. I’m also aware of how ironic my troll-worthy passage is; I’m not outright telling our non-denom brothers and sisters that they are, by definition, against peace in the church, but there it is. Probably a product of my being in a class of primarily non-denom seminarians!
Again, the word came to mind as I heard our speaker tonight, Dennis Trittin offer a challenge to the jr and sr high youth of our church to take the integrity challenge: for one week, only say or write things that are either neutral or positive.

In other words, be irenic.

No comments:

Post a Comment