Sunday, May 4, 2014

The week in review part 5

Stillness: Recalling God's Presence
I noticed God's presence in our youth frisbee game Wednesday. Seniors Kelsey, Anders and Seth were there, along with Tyler from last year. Play a familiar game with old friends and new was a happy occurrence; I've done so many things the past four years with these particular group of people, it would require a yearly examen to catalogue them all. I was able to make a photographic memory for Kelsey this week, and it really did take me back. And I had dinner with her Wednesday - this is a young woman who is going places, and yet incredibly close to the Lord's path. She's a keeper, and I see the presence of God in her entire presence.

Gratitude: Expressing Thankfulness
See below.

Reflection: Looking Back on Your Day
I'm writing this on Sunday, and it was a big up and down day. It started with the Splash Leader's meeting, and there's currently a bit of confusion over how to proceed with the next steps in our Splash Group's life. Do we keep the 9th graders together as one big group, or do we integrate them into groups by existing leaders? Then the confirmands-to-be came and we went over their statements of belief. Not to be missed next weekend! There are some very good and personal statements of belief. We should all be so proud. 10:30 service was a downer - we only had 7 people, and that includes the pianist and me. I don't have a good feeling about the future of the traditions service. Then I met with a young man who has decided, after two years in confirmation, that he does not want to go through with it. He does not want to stand before his peers and parents and say things that he doesn't believe in. Honestly, I would prefer someone like this than someone who stands up there and goes through the motions, never intending to make faith in God part of their life. So it was sad for him - he felt like he was disappointing his mom - and his mom and brother - who felt sad that he felt sad. Tears all around. Great family. He'll be fine. Bought a computer for my daughter, went home and took the obligatory Sunday nap; got up and hauled some cheap pavers from my neighbor's estate sale then played frisbee for about 45 minutes. Normally, standing in the rain in sweatpants is not a pleasant thing, but I had a really good time; and I saw an osprey with a fish in its beak. So that was cool. But the highlight was definitely our dinner and evening worship small group inaugural event at the H-Es house. We sat and talked about what it might look like to be a traditional Lutheran based small group. We also discovered that three of us have a Kalamazoo connection - Joel was raised there, Gretchen moved there, I was on an journalism internship there. And I got my first cat there, Maud. Apart from that, we shared a nice evening worship service from the blue hymnal. We've slated May 18 as the next one. We're going to draw on each other's expertise and different devotionals. So that'll be great. And my wife's cookies were a hit!

Sorrow: Asking for Forgiveness
I continually forget that I have a "congregation" that will need to receive my personal touch. We had very few people today, and part of that is because I have not kept up with my worshipping community. I'll be making some calls this week.

Hopefulness: Resolving to Grow
I'm hopeful that I can convey the wonder and beauty of our church's history through the Equip classes this week. The last 500 years have been very important, I think, in the history of the world, and we'll be talking about several men and women who have played an important part in the furthering of the kingdom of God on earth. I'm hopeful about the ministry plan that will come together this month. To God be the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment